Sunday, June 24, 2007

Droopy:1958


Droopy's final film, "Droopy Leprechaun" finds the dog touring Ireland. A souvenir hat makes Butch believe that Droopy is a leprechaun.


Guided by greed for the presumed pot of gold, Butch follows Droopy to a castle which was once ruled by "the mad duke". Problem for Butch: He looks exactly like the mad duke.


So Butch chases Droopy, believing that he is a leprechaun, while Droopy runs away from Butch, believing that he is the mad duke. The end result? Yep, you guessed it...Butch is carted off to the psych ward again. Apparently it is for good this time.


Thus concludes Droopy's theatrical career, but is this the end of our tribute? Not exactly.
Droopy resurfaced in some cartoons made by Filmation decades later. They are so unwatchable that I can't bring myself to discuss them here. They can be found floating around online elsewhere. If you go off in search of them, just don't say I didn't warn you.
More importantly were Droopy's repeat appearances in the Roger Rabbit films in the late '80's. So basically, the Droopy tribute was also a nice way for me to morph the conversation into a Roger Rabbit tribute. Beginning tomorrow, these films (Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Tummy Trouble, Rollercoaster Rabbit, Trail Mix-up) will be highlighted here.

4 comments:

Jon Cooke said...

I really enjoy your character tributes! Keep up the great work!

Bummer we won't get to see your post about Filmation's masterpiece, "Disco Droopy". ;)

Coyote said...

Thanks, Jon! I have the next several timelines all planned out, so there is plenty more to come.
I just couldn't bring myself to post about the Filmation Droopy cartoons. I want to be complete but, I have to draw the line somewhere. :)
Thanks for visiting.

James E. Daniels said...

I've only seen this cartoon in full screen before but thanks to the DVD, I can finally see the cannonball stretch Butch's body. Funny gag! Never really understood it in Full Screen.

Coyote said...

Yeah, it was always strange seeing them fullscreen. I just knew that I was missing a lot.