Thursday, May 17, 2007

Daffy:1957


In Friz Freleng's "Show Biz Bugs", the rivalry between Bugs and Daffy escalates further. This time the two are stage performers who get different reactions from the audience.


As if having Bugs' name towering over Daffy's on the marquee is not enough to insult the duck, having the bathroom as a dressing room takes the cake.


Bugs is able to put forth minimal effort to receive the audience's adoration, whereas Daffy's best efforts only yield cricket chirps in response.


Daffy's trained birds are only trained to fly directly out the window and Bugs' magic act leaves Daffy in pieces.


Finally, it is Daffy's act that is not suitable for "those with weak constitutions", involving his consumption of volitile liquids ("Girls, you'd better hang onto your boyfriends") followed by a swallowed match that wins the audience over. The only downside? He can only do the act once, and we learn this fact as Daffy ascends towards heaven in his devil outfit.

2 comments:

James E. Daniels said...

I have always thought that this one has Daffy's funniest line ever.
"I HATE YOU." Mel Blanc's delivery gets me everytime.
I don't care what other people think, Friz Freleng's cartoons are great. His characters always get angry with such emotion it's hilarious. Sam is one of my favorite characters for that reason.

Coyote said...

I second that. Friz was great and I will never think otherwise.
Listening to Daffy in this film always makes me think of Yosemite Sam. The pure, raw anger. Beautiful.